Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

What is the mom in my mind?

Well...the mom in my mind is the image in my mind, of what motherhood will be, compared to what motherhood is in reality. I must tell you that the difference is laughable!
I think the first time I realized that reality differed from the lovely picture in my mind,  was the day I took my daughter out to play in the snow for the first time.
Oh, the image in my head was lovely!...
We would both look like adorable snow bunnies as we laughed and chased each other around the yard. It would be snowing glitter as we fell into the snow to make snow angels...you get the picture...
The reality?
My daughter was 18 months old and I was 8 months pregnant. It took me 20 minutes to heave my whale of a self into 3 layers of clothing, and another 10 attempting to bend over and tie up my boots.
At this point, I began wrestling my 18 month old into her snow clothes. By the time she was dressed, I had spent 45 minutes preparing us for the snow, and I was already sweating! I began peeling my first layer off as we headed out the door.
Within ten seconds of walking out into the snow, she became annoyed with her gloves, and tore them off. Approximately 10 seconds after that, she picked up a handful of snow, and of course, began screaming when her hand became cold.
I attempted to put her gloves back on. This only served to produce a full on temper tantrum, which resulted in her running away from me, at which point she fell down and landed with her face in the snow.
Needless to say, she was of the opinion that this was indeed my fault. I could tell this by the look in her eyes and the gibberish she screamed accusingly at me.
At this point, since she was so angry about the snow on her face and hands, it was useless for me to try and help her up. She would accept no help, and the tantrum was getting louder. I'm sure it looked like child abuse as I attempted to carry my kicking and screaming "snow bunny angel" into our house. Did I mention I was EIGHT MONTHS PREGNANT?!?!
Twenty minutes later, as I sat on the couch (still panting), I said out loud, "Well, I saw that going differently in my head." (insert a little eye roll here)
I believe this was the first time I realized that the image in my head was often hilariously different than what my reality actually looked like!
The thing about motherhood, is that it truly is one of the most rewarding things you will ever do, but frustration, exhaustion and guilt, seem to be constantly lurking, waiting to completely dishevel your parenting ideas and skills!
So for anyone else who had far more answers on parenting, before they had children- this is for you! I know you are great mothers! Follow my blog. Post a comment or send me an e-mail and let me know I am not the only one in this universe whose children would prefer to survive mainly on mac-n-cheese and chicken nuggets. Yeah...picky eaters....I never saw that coming either......... :)

6 comments:

  1. That was great Holly! I was laughing out loud. So true and so worth it :) Hope you have a great week!

    Sara Reichard :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was laughing out loud reading this - could totally picture it happening in my head. ;-) There's definitely a difference between the "mommy in my head" and the reality of having children, but even with all the frustrations and challenges, it's so worth it, right?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely worth it!!! I wouldn't trade a second of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so excited you started a blog. I have one too, though I've just recently gotten back into it, and deleted a bunch of old posts from when Ethan was a baby. I can't wait to follow yours! Here's mine, if you want to read...

    http://thisismybrainonmommy.wordpress.com

    Miss you, my dear. Let's catch up soon (not on the interwebs).

    Love, Alissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. I laugh at myself thinking about how naive I was before I gave birth to Alayna. I literally thought my babies would NEVER cry!! Lol!! In my defense, I stayed with a baby and never, ever heard him cry and I thought, "I'm going to have a baby like that!" lol

    Great read! My blog is bugandcat.blogspot.com
    I enjoy yours! Your a great writer. :)

    ReplyDelete